WHO MAY JOIN
Please read the details of each condition:
- Bands with two to six members, unless otherwise approved by the organizers. Adding additional band members after registration is prohibited without the consent of the organizers. Replacing more than one-third of band members is likewise prohibited without the consent of the organizers.
- Bands of all ages.There is no age limit for band members. However, if any band member is not of legal age, one responsible parent or legal guardian must accompany the band member to the concert.
- Bands signed or unsigned to management, publishing and/or record companies.
- Bands with original songs. These can be written / co-written by the band, or written specifically for them.
- Bands playing any kind of music. All kinds of musical styles and songs are welcome in the competition.
HOW TO JOIN
Create a Complete Band Profile at GlobalMusicGarden.com. All bands around the world joining any Battle must create a complete Band Profile at the Official Website, http://globalmusicgarden.com. Their profile must include their (1)Band Name, (2) Band Members, (3) Band History, (4)Songs, Photos, Videos, if available. Notice: Locally registered bands that have not made a profile at globalmusicgarden.com before registering and performing at the country's local heats cannot be recognized by Global Music Garden AS and will not eligible to compete in the World Finals should they win the National Championships.
Register for a Local Qualifying Heat. After creating a Band Profile, you can now find your country and register at one of the Local Qualifying Heats to compete.
- Complete the registration form in the website.
- All bands registering for the competition must already have read and accepted the Rules of the competition.
- All participating bands must have agreed to give Global Music Garden AS permission to use their name, image, songs, and video played in the competition for promotional purposes.
Refund Policy. Refunds are allowed only more than 30 days before the event. If due to circumstance a band is unable to perform during the event, they can perform instead during another date, another country, or in next year's competition.
Live Competitions are at most a three-step process.
- (1) Local Qualifying Heats
- (2) National Final
- (3) World Final
If a Qualifying Event takes place over two or more nights, the winning band from each night will go forward to the National Final. If the National Final needs to take place over two or more nights there will be a further Super Final to determine the overall winner. The same procedure as for National Finals applies to the World Final.
Equipment and Effects
The backline used for GBOB events are usually the standard Marshall for guitars, Ampeg for bass, and a five-piece drum kit. In some countries, this will differ but you will be informed beforehand. Here are the guidelines for equipment used during live competition events:
- At any point in the competition, all bands must use the same backline equipment, drum kits, and be assisted by the same stage crew. The organizers will provide high quality sound and lighting system, which all the bands will use. The organizers will also provide all drums, bass and guitar amplifiers, microphones, monitors and backline equipment used in all Global Music Garden events, as well as all sound & lighting engineers and all necessary stage crew.
- Band members will use their personal instruments such as guitars, basses and keyboards as well as any effects pedals etc. Drummers will bring their own bass drum pedal and drumsticks.
- Keyboards and any special equipment – other than personal instruments such as guitars – will be placed on stage before the concert begins and will remain there until the end of the concert.
Onstage Time and Conduct
Generally, this is how the program during the competition is organized. However, it may be different for each country, depending on the National Director of the country. We recommend you check your country's Battle website.
- Playing order is determined by a draw of lots usually a day before the competition. This rule applies to all competition levels.
- Bands with a left-handed drummer will play either first or last on the bill. To keep changeover times to a minimum.
- Bands will play two songs each. The total playing time for each band must not exceed 8 minutes. This rule applies to all competition levels.
- Cover Songs are not allowed. All bands must play original music.
- All bands must play live. It is not permitted to use pre-recorded sound material or backing tracks. Exceptions can be made if the backing track serves only as minor special effects or an enhancer to the main live sound of the band. Important: All bands wishing to use backing tracks must first submit the backing tracks and songs to be used to the organisor in your country at least one week before the live competitions.
- Bands going beyond their allotted playing time may be faded out and/or deducted points.
- Bands that miss their allotted on-stage time may be disqualified. If any band misses their allotted sound check or on-stage slot in a National Final or a World Final the organizers will make all efforts to fit them in elsewhere. However, if this is not possible the band is liable to be disqualified from the competition.
Local Live Qualifications
Please read your Country's own Battle Page. Please note that the Global Battle of the Bands Competition Rules at Local and National Levels can be different from country to country, depending on local laws, partners, culture, and others. For this reason, please click on your country flag to see if you have additional rules and regulations in your country. You may also contact your National Organizer for more info via the Contact Page.
No Sound Check. There will be no sound check in Local Qualifying Competitions or combined one-off Local Qualifying Heats/National Finals. Only the band due first on stage will be given a brief sound check to check the equipment.
Winning Decision based on 50% Audience Vote, 50% Judges Decision. The organizers will appoint three or more respected figures from the music business to act as Judges during Local Qualifying Heats. Members of audience can also use their ticket or voting slip to vote for their favorite band/bands. When the votes have been counted, the final result will represent 50% the view of the audience and 50% the view of the panel of judges. If there is a tie for first place or any other place the judges' choice will be given precedence.
4-Minute Sound Check Per Band. All bands taking part in a National Final, if possible, will be given a 4-minute sound check. Sound checks will be allotted in reverse to the playing order, which means the band last on stage does the first sound check and the band first on stage does the last sound check. Approximate times for sound checks and on-stage times will be given to each band.
Winning Decision based on 100% Judges' Scores. To avoid giving any local band an unfair advantage there will be no audience voting in National Finals or the World Final and the results will be determined entirely by the panel of judges. The decision of the judges is final.
Travel and Hotel of World Finalists. Two nights in a hotel with breakfast and catering on the day of the World Final will be fully covered by Global Music Garden. For travel costs, Global Music Garden will provide a travel fund for the band as partial support for the band's travel to the World Final. The exact amount of the fund depends on Pro-Member contributions for the year, and the amount will be announced a few months before the World Final. The travel fund will act as a partial refund and will be given to the band after they have purchased their preferred travel schedule.
8-Minute Sound Check Per Band. All bands taking part in the World Final will be given a 8-minute sound check. Sound checks will be allotted in reverse to the playing order, which means the band playing last on stage will do the first sound check and the band first on stage will do the last sound check. Approximate times for sound checks and on-stage times will be given to each band.
Winning Decision based on 100% Judges' Scores. Judges during the World Final will be international music executives, celebrities, and other professionals.